Author Topic: LION AIR  (Read 11632 times)

Offline aero789

• Skidbuggy Member
LION AIR
« on: 30 November 2004 at 15:46 »
lion air flight from jakarta and diverted to solo due bad weather over
shot runway reports 8 dead
god bless they souls  :(
« Last Edit: 24 October 2007 at 23:15 by Admin »

Offline FINpilot

• Mad Dog Member
Re: lion air crash
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2004 at 17:45 »

Offline Old Admin (PNF)

• Jan-Erik Andelin
  • Administrator
  • Limousine Member
Re: Lion Air crashes on runway overrun - 23 dead
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2004 at 19:25 »
Lion Air MD-82 skidded over the end of runway in Solo, in rain. The aircraft crashed right side first into a graveyard with 146 pax on board. A total of 31 are reported dead and 61 are reported injured. The aircraft was built in 1984 and operated previously for Aeromexico. Present registration PK-LMN, previous XA-AMP.

[EDIT: Corrects information about crew deaths.]

« Last Edit: 01 December 2004 at 10:56 by md80forum »

pipejumper

Re: Lion Air crashes on runway overrun - 31 dead
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2004 at 21:18 »
Here we are with a sad day in the history of the marvelous aircraft known as the MD-80. A sad day indeed. Far more so because one of the few Aruban First officers we have here in Indonesia was on duty on this flight. A close friend to all of us Aruban pilots in Indonesia. Wether we fly for Lion,Star Air or Air fast, we were all violently reminded of the risks involved in this botherwise beautifull proffesion. I must say that I have spoken to the First officer,and fortunately he is allright. A bit shaken up and some major bruises and broken bones. unfortunately that doesn't take away what horrible fate some of the passengers have met.
The Tv Channels are still full of updates about the story,and the total number of casualties is still unknown. May they all rest in peace. God bless. :'(

Bengt Engel

« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2004 at 15:31 »
the captain wasnt as lucky? read somewhere that they digged out a pilot from under the cockpit, apparently he was dead.

Friends who work/worked in this company have told me that a major accident is just waiting to happen, and now it did.

RIP.

31RBV

« Reply #5 on: 01 December 2004 at 16:29 »
Captain's nationality?

Bengt Engel

« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2004 at 00:01 »
My humble guess is that he's a local, think they have one local on flight deck all the time....so if the copilot was from aruba....

Offline Old Admin (PNF)

• Jan-Erik Andelin
  • Administrator
  • Limousine Member
Re: Lion Air crashes on runway overrun - 26 dead
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2004 at 21:33 »
The commander of the flight died. He was identified as Capt. Dwi Mawastoro, 31, apparently an Indonesian citizen. According to pilot sources he had had been MD-80 captain for Lion Air for 4 months, after a fast career as F/O on MD-80 and F-28. He was reported to have 5,800 total hrs.

In the accident also two Lion flight attendants and a mechanic died, while the F/O, Steven Liesdek, 35, a citizen of Surinam, survived.

The total death toll has officially been lowered to 26.

Indonesian press reports that there was a problem with "reversing the spoilers" on the aircraft. There are also witnesses indicating that the aircraft attempted a go-around after touching down half way down the runway in Solo. When camera and emergency crews arrived on the scene, the engines were still running.

Solo is reported to be a difficult airport with severe weather, active volcanoes in the vicinity, lack of radar and efficient ATC services.

Jakarta Post, 3 Dec
Photos Chinaview, 3 Dec
« Last Edit: 06 December 2004 at 23:06 by md80forum »

Offline SG/JGO

• Tower
  • Limousine Member
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2004 at 08:20 »
"Made in 1982, the aircraft as one of the 10 planes owned by theLion Air is still airworthy."

what is that? take a look at the pictures and it's clear that this MD-80 will be written of...  the MD-80 is shown in a differnet color sheme, it has red engines. sad thing.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2004 at 08:22 by JetsgoLover »
flown aboard MD-80s/-90s/-95s with: LX, IB, AA, JK, DF, 8Q, HW, SK, FL, KF, AZ, G4, IG, V7

Offline Old Admin (PNF)

• Jan-Erik Andelin
  • Administrator
  • Limousine Member

Buaya-kun

« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2004 at 07:22 »
some preliminary facts about this flight:
1. the APU was inoperative
2. fuel was loaded including for next leg SOC-SUB?
3. there's rumors that SOC glideslope was misaligned so if you follow glideslope you won't ladn at TDZ
4. nose landing gear never touch the runway

some folks at indoflyer run reconstruct the accident in simulator using AS2, the result is quite surprising. i have their report but unfortunately it in indonesian only.

[Moderator: SOC-Solo, SUB-Surabaya]
« Last Edit: 04 December 2004 at 12:01 by md80forum »

botak

« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2004 at 09:11 »
Dear friends,

So many roumors and not-yet-comfirmed-things swinging around on this subject.
I'm very eager to see the investigation result and their recommendations.

And as for now, I have some questions regarding MD-82's Go Around Procedure.
I've posted it in the Procedures & System board, and you can find it here.
Please shed some lights.

:)
Thanks!

Bengt Engel

« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2004 at 19:07 »
"reversing the spoilers"???

as for the glideslope not taking you to the proper touchdown....you gotta know where to land or was it a CATIIIB?

then again, I know very little about this particular accident so maybe I should keep my scandi ass shut.

Offline Old Admin (PNF)

• Jan-Erik Andelin
  • Administrator
  • Limousine Member
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2004 at 20:14 »
"reversing the spoilers"???

Most likely the press meant there were problems retracting the spoilers.

Bengt Engel

« Reply #14 on: 05 December 2004 at 00:07 »
that sounds more resonable....

Offline Old Admin (PNF)

• Jan-Erik Andelin
  • Administrator
  • Limousine Member
« Reply #15 on: 06 December 2004 at 23:34 »

ufano

« Reply #16 on: 16 December 2004 at 23:14 »
I have "survived" LION Air for 6 months and LMN " lima  Mike Nothing" (was her nick), name was a completly unairwothy AC with out Nav data base  both FMS out of service and a portable GPS as sole forme of navigation, some of as refuse to operate her but not the locals they were threaten with to loss their jobs if ... I am pretty sure this will not be the only notice that we will be reading in a similar matter with they same company... is just amatter of time....really sad and a same for all aviation  comunity.  >:(

HA763

« Reply #17 on: 18 December 2004 at 18:20 »
I have "survived" LION Air for 6 months and LMN " lima? Mike Nothing" (was her nick), name was a completly unairwothy AC with out Nav data base? both FMS out of service and a portable GPS as sole forme of navigation, some of as refuse to operate her but not the locals they were threaten with to loss their jobs if ... I am pretty sure this will not be the only notice that we will be reading in a similar matter with they same company... is just amatter of time....really sad and a same for all aviation? comunity.? >:(

Hi Ufano,
nice to know you ... I'm new to this forum and here I share my horrifying experience w/ PK-LMN.

I flew on PK-LMN (on JT382, seat#7A) to MES last July and just before entering CGK's Runway 25, I felt an unpleasant sensation - "combination" between a sudden stop and skidding. I was thinking that there had been something wrong and several seconds later another JT's MD82 passed over us & touched down. ???

The plane then entered the runway, but aborted the take off run, then returned to T2F. The ground staff told me that "some instrument devices in the cockpit were out of order".

Until now, I absolutely have no idea - whether on that flight (JT382) I was experiencing a near-miss incident (due to the instrument device abnormalities?), or there had been a genuine problem with the break - so the cockpit crew decided to abort the take off since he thought that bigger problem would encounter us when we land at MES.

On TV, I saw the thrust reverser on both PK-LMN's engines were fully deployed - could there be any similar technical problem, so the crew did not manage to stop the plane ?

All pax were finally transfered to other MD82 (PK-LMR).
« Last Edit: 18 December 2004 at 18:47 by HA763 »

Offline SG/JGO

• Tower
  • Limousine Member
« Reply #18 on: 18 December 2004 at 18:30 »
horrible standards then... :o
flown aboard MD-80s/-90s/-95s with: LX, IB, AA, JK, DF, 8Q, HW, SK, FL, KF, AZ, G4, IG, V7

HA763

« Reply #19 on: 18 December 2004 at 19:18 »
lion air flight from jakarta and diverted to solo due bad weather over
shot runway reports 8 dead
god bless they souls? :(

It was not diverted to SOC ; instead, it was a scheduled service to SOC.  JT rarely diverts the plane to any alternate destination (before Adi Sumarmo tragedy); I think some of the company "policies" were:
1. Forcing the plane to land no matter how dangerous it was >:( - this is the third
    overshot mishap after similar incidents several months ago at PLM & UPG.
2. Forcing the plane to fly with unretracted landing gears
3. Forcing PAX travelling w/ minors over 2 y/o to sacrifice the kids' (paid) seat, so
    the ground staff can sell more seats ! >:(
4. Check-in desk change without informing the PAX who has been queuing for a long
    time, due to the late openning.

NOW THEY'VE GOT THE LESSONS !